Monday, May 3, 2010

Quality with a capital "K"

I drove past one of those letter-board signs this morning, one describing a service or product as "quality." As a copywriter, I cringe at the word, for a variety of reasons:

1. ____ Quality Widgets. Good or poor? The best or the worst? Quality originally was a noun, not an adjective, and it still screams for a modifier when immediately preceded by a noun.

2. Don't make me think. Good ol' Seth. Quality is abstract--it's not going to create an emotional reaction. It's going to make me keep driving. Did I remember what that sign was about? Nope.

3. Accuracy. Don't waste characters. Is "quality" really the strongest adjective out there for your particular product? Is there another word that's more specific? Of course there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment